Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dear Dad

One of the great joys of my job at LWB is reading the letters from the students in the Mama's Wish Program to their sponsors. Below is a letter written by one of our brightest students just before Chinese New Year. You will note that she refers to her sponsor as "Dad." This is because sponsors of this program are allowed to forge personal relationships with their students through letters, and over the past couple of years many of the students have begun referring to their sponsors as "Aunt and Uncle" or "American Mom" or "Mom and Dad." I know that Lhachen's sponsors must be so proud of her, and it must make them feel good to know that their investment in her education has the effect of impacting not just her, but also the children from her village.

Fifty-six our high school students will be graduating this year, and it is our hope that each of them will be able to attend college in the fall. We can't do it without your help, though. If you would like to contribute to the Mama's Wish college fund or would like more information, please let me know. It could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Angela Taylor
Associate Director of Education
Minority Schools Program
angela.taylor@lwbmail.com




Dear Dad,

Hope all is well. The Chinese New Year is just around the corner. At this special moment, I would like to wish you good health and happiness in 2008.

My college entrance exam is approaching and I will study hard to get good score. I made big improvement for my semester and I will continue to pursue a better result in my academic performance.

My family and I are very grateful for your help. I would not be in school if I did not get help from you. I cannot thank you enough for your kindness and help. I will not let you down. I believe the best presents for you is to study hard and achieve academic excellence.

As you know, my hometown is an underdeveloped area in terms of education and economy. Few people can afford to go to school to get education. We never heard of this foreign language: English. And the teacher shortage is very severe in my village. Therefore, I decided to dedicate my semester break time to teach them English voluntarily. Although my English is not perfect, I am happy to share with them what I learned in school.

Everybody has his or her dreams. Mine is to raise enough funds to open a school to help those children just like me who cannot afford to go to school and get an education. I am going to work hard to achieve my dream and be a noble person like you to reach out to people in need. I wish I could go to college and make my dream come true.

Once again, I am so thankful for your help.

Your daughter,
Lhachen