Thursday, August 16, 2007

Big Family Weekend



"Raise your sail one foot and you get ten feet of wind. "

--Chinese Proverb


Love Without Boundaries' volunteers are the best! One in particular, Nicole, has opened her coastal city home to Joey for the summer. Joey is a very bright young woman who grew up in one of the Guangdong SWI’s that Love Without Boundaries serves with education assistance. Joey has done exceptionally well for herself in school and is about to begin her second year of college in Guangzhou. This summer Nicole has provided Joey with English lessons, job opportunities, and most importantly, the love of a home. I had the great pleasure to talk with Joey on the phone a few weeks ago and I was blessed to be the recipient of her first attempt to say “I love you” in English.
Joey is very fortunate to have a biological sister who also resides at the orphanage. Nicole surprised Joey by bringing her little sister down for the weekend. Nicole took the girls to the beach and as you can see by the photos helped them to experience life in new and exciting ways.

I remember the first time I stood at the edge of the ocean; I was about 14 and even though I had been told that the ocean is as far as the eye can see I really couldn’t have comprehend it before that moment. I found the Chinese proverb above, and it reminded me of a kite who just needs a little bit of wind beneath it to fly high. Thank you to all of our education sponsors who are that wind so that kids like Joey can have the chance to fly high above all the obstacles life has placed before them.


Wendy Petersen,
Education Coordinator