Tuesday, May 01, 2007

SOCKS!

In preparation for my upcoming trip to China for LWB Education, I've let people know that I am happy to carry donations to the orphanages that I visit. The mother of a really special young man named Zane contacted me and asked if I would be willing to carry socks to China for the babies and children that I meet. I said sure! Today, two boxes of new and adorable socks arrived at my front door. When I opened the first box, I found the following letter. I am in awe of the compassion that Zane has for other children, a world away that he will never meet. I cannot wait to deliver his gifts.


Here's what Zane writes: "Ni Hao! My name is Zane and I am 16 years old….As part of my confirmation class, I was required to do a service project that did not include asking people for money. With the help of my sponsor, Joe, I decided to ask people in my church community to donate socks for kids in China. Over four years ago, I had the privilege to visit the orphanage where my sister Rong Rong lived until she was 3 ½ years old. A lady who worked at the orphanage told my mom that it was hard to find cotton socks in China…so I thought it would be a nice thing to ask people to donate. Going to China when I was 12 years old, made a big difference in my life. I have studied Mandarin for four years. I hope to be able to speak Chinese fluently someday. Thank you for helping take these socks to China. I want children in China to know that other people—even teenagers worry about them, and care that they might have a better life." Zane H.



Linda Mitchell

Director of Education